Published in the Scarsdale Inquirer https://www.scarsdalenews.com/eedition/page-i-06/page_c54644c0-192c-5f95-843c-bc01bd60ba73.html May 13, 2022
To the Editor:
I ask that Scarsdale and Mamaroneck Strip residents VOTE YES on the proposed 2022-23 Scarsdale Schools Budget. Voting is at the Scarsdale Middle School next Tuesday, May 17 between 7am and 9pm.
Here are my top 10 reasons why I’m for the budget:
10) The Budget would preserve Scarsdale's existing curricular program – grounded in small elementary school class sizes, the Middle School house system, and a diversity of stimulating courses in the High School.
9) Important budget adds include a) a teacher to help roll out a new Math curriculum in the elementary schools, b) a 6th grade computer programming teacher that would allow Scarsdale 6th graders to have an enhanced, 5-days-a-week computer technology quarterly, and c) an additional psychologist and social worker in each of SMS and Scarsdale High School to address students' mental health needs.
8) Scarsdale schools' enriching extracurricular programs would be sustained by the Budget.
7) The year-over-year budget increase of 3.85% associated with the proposed Scarsdale Schools Budget – associated with year-over-year tax rate growth of a lower 2.43% for Scarsdale and 3.68% for Mamaroneck Strip – is relatively modest by historical standards. The 30-year annual average for Scarsdale School District budget growth between 1982 and 2012, for example, was 6.33%. Indeed, there were calls for certain additional items to be added to the District Budget, but the Board was cognizant of containing taxes.
6) It was a unanimous School Board vote that approved the proposed Budget, with robust statements of support from the BOE Trustees after a number of meetings and after receiving community input. The proposed Budget is also supported by the League of Women Voters of Scarsdale, Scarsdale's Parent Teacher Council Executive Committee, and the Executive Committees of the PTAs at each of Scarsdale's seven schools.
5) Voting for the Scarsdale Schools Budget is a good investment not only in our kids but also for our pocketbooks. A strong majority vote approving the Budget would be good for Scarsdale and Mamaroneck Strip home values.
4) A substantial Yes vote is important support for Interim Superintendent Drew Patrick as he works to move the District forward after a difficult stretch.
3) A large turnout and a large Yes vote would support our kids' teachers who work so hard to help our children reach their potential.
2) Scarsdale schools have relied on community support over decades. Let's continue to help our schools help our kids with our votes next Tuesday.
1) If not you, then who? It takes a Village and every vote counts. It's a short drive to the Middle School on Tuesday. Please vote Yes, and vote for SBNC nominees Colleen Brown, Suzie Hahn Pascutti and Ron Schulhof, next Tuesday, May 17 at SMS, from 7am-9pm. Thank you.
David Fenigstein Executive Committee Coalition for Scarsdale Schools